Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- 500g lamb or beef mince
- low fat 2 tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Frozen Vegetables (Carrots, corn, & peas)
- 1 can diced tomatoes or the healthiest can of tomato based sauce you can find (look for as fewer ingredients in the can as possible)
- Himalayan Salt
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and cut
- 1/4 cup low fat milk or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Puff pastry for the top (optional - remove this for a healthier version)
- Grated Cheese (Also optional - remove this for a healthier version)
- Put your oil of choice in the frying pan and dice up and cook your onion until it starts to brown
- Mean while boil your sweet potato chunks in water and pre- heat your oven to 200 degrees
- Add your lamb or beef mince and garlic
- Once your meat has cooked through add your frozen vegetables, canned sauce or diced tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce and cover the lid while it simmers so the frozen vegetables thaw.
- Once your sweet potato is soft and vegetables are thawed remove both from pans.
- Transfer your meat mixture into a baking tin and drain your sweet potato and add your milk and butter then mash.
- Once you have mashed into a smooth texture, add this topping onto your meat mixture and add cheese (optional).
- Put a layer of your puff pastry over the top of your shepherd's pie ensuring all of the tin is covered and bake in the oven for 25-30minutes or until the puff pastry as turned golden and crunchy or until your cheese has melted.
- Cut into pie size slices and serve!